Sunday 12 July 2020

Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls in 2020 | Best4Balls


Ever since debuting in the spring of 2017, the Q-Star Tour has been one of the best values in the golf ball space. For under $30, golfers could find a three-piece golf ball that features a urethane cover, which is often only offered on tour level or expensive golf balls. During its 2nd generation, there were some tweaks in the design, which included increasing the number of dimples bringing it up to par with the Z-Star offerings. For 2020, Srixon has brought some new improvements to this line, including updates to make the Srixon Golf Balls faster and giving it the ability to generate more spin on iron and wedge shots.


The new 2020 Srixon Q-Star Tour aims to give you Tour Level performance, with a nice, soft feel.  Srixon touts soft feel, longer distance, and max greenside spin, which let’s be honest, is everything a golfer could want in a golf ball.

How does it feel?

With the Srixon Q-Star Tour’s new Fast Layer core designed for distance and feel, we’re going to start there.  I’ll immediately start by saying 2020 Q-Star Tour is even softer than previous models.  Off of the tee, it gives you a soft, yet somewhat solid (if that makes sense?) feel at impact.  That said, nothing is worse than when a ball feels like a marshmallow off of the tee, and the Q-Star Tour is definitely not that.  Part of this is due to that new Soft Layer Core.  The gradual layers transition from the softcore to the firmer exterior resulting in that softer feel, even on your hardest swings.

Full iron shots and wedges were all pleasantly soft as well.  While they give off a nice, firm clicking sound, the actual feeling in the hands is much softer than that.  I got the same feedback off of my putter face.  The feel didn’t necessarily match what I heard sound-wise, but that isn’t a bad thing.  It was pleasantly surprising to have that nice, buttery-soft feel that I look for in a golf ball, without it sounding like a dud.

On the Approach

Consistency is the most important thing that I personally look for in both a golf ball and my irons.  Sometimes I find softer golf balls to be all over the map in terms of consistency and control.  The 2020 Srixon Q-Star Tour is NOT one of those balls.  I found my distances to be pretty consistent across all of my irons, and once I learned my distance numbers for the Q-Star Tour, they stayed pretty tight.  Workability (again not necessarily by choice for me) was still there, so don’t confuse this with a pure distance ball, which usually only travel straight-ish.  What does this mean?  They generate enough spin-off of your irons to both works the ball, as well as hold greens.



Around the Green

Around the green is typically where a less expensive, distance-type golf ball falls short.  Yet again, the 2020 Srixon Q-Star Tour does NOT fit this mould.  I found the newest Q-Star Tour to be extremely consistent and predictable around the greens (see above about how I felt on consistency).  They have a surprising amount of spin and zip to them too.  Why?  Probably because of the new SeRM Skin urethane cover designed to allow wedge grooves to grip and generate spin.  Now, I won’t say they’re going to hop-and-stop, or zip back like a high-end Tour Spin ball, but they will spin enough to fit a majority of amateur golfers.

1 comment: